Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Mindfulness


While at work today I came across a book called 'The Miracle of Mindfulness' by Thich Nhat Hanh. It seemed kind of apropos for me today. Lately I've been feeling run ragged, sun scorched with commitments that seem to take me across town and back, never really being in one place.
I find myself rushing from place to place from person to person, so much so that even time spent with loved ones sometimes feels like hours blocked off in my schedule rather than time spent really enjoying and listening and being.
Mindfulness: to be present; to be awake and aware.

If you've done any reading on meditation or mindfulness or read any of the Shambhala books, perhaps you are aware of this practice. The teachings involve the practice of being mindful while doing ordinary tasks. Mindful while you do the dishes, mindful when you are folding laundry, mindful when you are walking down the street.

The premise is that this mindfulness, this calm, extends through the entire life and permeates all tasks.

In this particular book, there are some practical exercises and approaches to mindfulness and meditation. He describes them as the foundations on which everything else is built.

Here are a few that made me smile:
Half-smile when you first wake up
Half-smile during your free moments
Half-smile while listening to music
Half-smile when irritated (use caution with this technique, especially if the other is also irritated!) ; )
Follow the breath
Let go

Everyone needs a gentle reminder now and then.


In good health,


Dr. Stacey Welton, ND

No comments: